- Title: Preaching Promise Within the Paradoxes of Life (Studia Homiletica 11)
- Editors: Johan Cilliers & Len Hansen
- Publisher: African Sun Media
- Country of Origin: South Africa
- Publication Year: 2018
- ISBN: 9781928314479
- Bib. Info: Paperback; 346pp
Paradoxes have become characteristic of the world we live in – poverty and privilege, empire and oppression, migration and enclave seeking, war and peace, justice and injustice, reconciliation and revenge. During the 2016 Societas Homiletica annual conference held in South Africa, these paradoxes served as a rediscovery of the calling of preachers to deliver the promise that lies within life’s contradictions. A divine promise brought forth by the grace of God and the gospel of Christ – embodied in and through us by the Spirit of Christ. This promise may take many forms and calls for discernment and often interrupts the status quos in surprising, shocking ways. It is a promise that interrupts, in order to comfort.